Monday, June 14, 2010

The New Daughter-Paranormal Movie Review



As a recent graduate, I have more free time this summer than I'm used to. Between games of Family Feud on Facebook, I try and catch up on recent movies. Thanks to the fantabulous Redbox machine, I came across this interesting film: The New Daughter starring Kevin Costner.

Right off the bat just let me say that I am not a huge Costner fan; he's a little too Alan Alda for my tastes. Between that and the fact that this was a straight to DVD release, I was a little hesitant to drop a buck for some cheap entertainment.

The overall story is very interesting. It revolves around a recently-divorced man (Costner) starting over with his kids in South Carolina. Unbeknownst to him, his new property contains an ancient Indian burial mound and has been the location of some strange mumbo jumbo.

They could easily have gone all Poltergeist on this one, but I'll give the writers credit for having an original take. The special effects aren't bad and overall it didn't seem like the low budget waste of time I'd imagined.

On the negative side, this movie is slow...achingly slow. In fact I had to fast forward past the first thirty minutes to get to the interesting bit. I enjoy suspense as much as the next person, but shots that linger on and on for no justifiable reason are a waste!

Surprisingly, this film is nearly gore free. A plus in my book.

I would give it 3 out of 5 orbs

No comments: